You have been accepted to BYU-Idaho, so what now?
This page will briefly explain the steps that international students need to take in order to get the correct visa.
Form I-20 will be one of the most important immigration documents you get. International students must be issued an I-20 in order to obtain an F-1 Visa from the United States embassy. The initial I-20 is the first I-20 a student will be issued, unless they are a transfer student from another University within the United States, in which case their SEVIS record is transferred to our office so we can create a new I-20 for them. The initial I-20 process begins once the student has been admitted to Brigham Young University-Idaho and has accepted their track assignment. International students will need to complete the following in order to receive their I-20.
- A Student Begins the I-20 process by completing the required application for form I-20 request found in I-Student
- Submit copy of current passport.
- Submit International Student Sponsor Form
- Submit bank statements verifying funds listed on Sponsor form
- Pay International Student Deposit (How to Pay Deposit)
- If you are having problems with any of these steps please check out our tutorial videos
Once you have completed these steps International Services will process your I-20 application. Processing the application takes 3-5 business days. International Services will then mail you the I-20 which is used to set up a Visa appointment. The time required to get a Visa appointments vary from country to country. Make sure you give yourself ample time to get your F-1 Visa before coming to the U.S.
If you have any questions about the Visa process please check out Applying for a Non-immigrant Visa, or contact International Services.
International Services Contact Info:
Office: Manwaring Center 276
Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM