Lync @ BYUI
What is Lync?
Microsoft Lync 2010 is a unified communication platform that provides presence (availability), IM (instant messaging), voice, ad hoc collaboration, and online meeting capabilities through a single, intuitive interface. It is also directly accessible from Microsoft applications such as Outlook, SharePoint, and Word.
Lync provides enhanced communication and management capabilities that make it easier for employees to fulfill their responsibilities. By using the Lync client, employees will be able to easily stay connected, participate in chat sessions, share their desktop, and participate in online conferences, resulting in greater productivity. In the end, this will result in greater customer satisfaction.
Lync is available as a download for Windows or Mac, through web access, and even on mobile devices. On campus, staff members will be able to install Lync from this website. You can also find and download quick reference cards that will help you use the software to its fullest.
Accounts are automatically provisioned for the "Employee" and "Student Employee" roles. To request an account outside those roles be added as a Lync User please email HelpDesk@byui.edu or call x9000.
- Constant Contact – By hovering over a person in the contact list, users can see that person’s calendar, location, and organizational structure. This allows users to search for experts at BYU-Idaho with specialized skills.
- Multimedia Capabilities – This feature allows users to quickly form groups in formal or ad hoc meetings. These meetings may include video, application, and desktop sharing. Lync also allows users to switch between multiple video and audio devices during a conference.
- Appropriate Calling – Lync facilitates traditional phone calls and VoIP conversations, allowing employees to use their computers as soft phones. Lync also supports HD video calls.
(If you don't know what version of Windows you are running, please use the Windows Version Tool.)
- Lync loading slowly? Reboot your machine when you leave for the day so that it's fresh and ready for you when you return the next day.
- Watch for Lync 2013 functionality in Office 365 coming soon!