Microsoft Office at BYU-Idaho
How Can I Get Microsoft Office for Free?
Obtaining the Microsoft Office Download (for Windows or Mac)
In order to download Office for free, you will need to be a current student or employee of Brigham Young University-Idaho. If either of these conditions apply to you:
1) Visit the home page for the University Store. Once you're there, hover your mouse over the "Technology" menu and click "Free Microsoft Downloads," then "Download."
2) Click the "Download Now" link that appears. It will take you to the myBYUI sign-in page (if you have not signed in already).
3) You will now see the Microsoft section of the University Store website. Select Microsoft Office or Microsoft Office for Mac from the list of available download choices.
4) Click "Add to Cart."
5) Click on the "Shopping Cart" (located in the top-right-hand corner of the page).
6) Click on the "Check Out" button.
7) A software agreement will appear on your screen. Fill in the required information for the software agreement.
8) Click "Proceed With Order."
Downloading Microsoft Office for Windows
NOTE: Don't forget to save your product key when it is given to you! This is how you will receive these products for free. If you lose/forget the key, you will have to purchase the Office software.
1) AFTER SAVING YOUR PRODUCT KEY, click "Start Download."
2) Read the offered choice of instructions and make the appropriate selection. If you have never downloaded something from the bookstore before, just select option 1.
3) Run or open the file, depending on what you chose to do in the previous step.
NOTE: "Running" the file causes it to begin operating as a background task (aka, a task that is running on your computer but that you do not see running). "Opening" the file causes it to appear on your screen as a pop-up window so you can examine the file type, the location on your computer, and other information. Opening the file does not cause it to start running.
4) When the Secure Download Manager opens, click "Download" next to the appropriate bit type for your computer. The download may take some time.
NOTE: If you go to "Computer Properties," you should see what type of operating system you have - either 64- or 32-bit. If you are in doubt, choose 32-bit since it will work even on a 64-bit.
Downloading Microsoft Office for Mac
1) Open "Finder."
2) Go to "Downloads" and double-click "Microsoft_Office_2016_Installer.pkg."
3) On the first installation screen, select "Continue." This will start the installation process.
4) A popup will appear asking for your username and password. Enter your Mac login information - NOT your myBYUI login information
- and then click "Install Software."
Installing Microsoft Office for Windows
1) When the download process is done, click "Launch."
2) Click "Yes" to allow the installation of Microsoft Office 2016.
3) Check the "I accept the terms of this agreement" box, then click "Continue."
4) Click "Install Now." The installation, like the download, may take some time.
5) You will be notified when the installation is complete. Once you receive this notification, click "Close."
6) Open the "Start" menu and find the "Microsoft Office 2016" folder.
7) Expand the "Microsoft Office 2016" folder so you can see all available Office programs.
8) Click "Microsoft Word." Once Word has opened you will be prompted to "Activate Office," which you can do by a variety of means. Choose "Enter a product key."
9) Enter the product key that you were provided earlier.
10) Once Microsoft Word has verified your product key and the next window pops up, select "Use Recommended Settings."
11) You will be asked to grant Microsoft Word permission to install the updates for Microsoft Office. Select "Yes."
12) Let the updates install. Once they are installed, you have finished installing and updating Microsoft Office.
NOTE: Remember to save your product key for future reference, if you haven't done so already.
Installing Microsoft Office for Mac
NOTE: After Office 2016 for Mac is installed, Word 2016 for Mac will open. You will use Microsoft Word to activate Office and confirm your subscription. You should only have to do this once.
1) Review the "What's New" screen in Word 2016, and then click "Get started."
2) A window titled "Sign in to Activate Office" will appear. Click "Sign In," and then enter your work or school account.
3) Depending on your preference, click either "Allow" or "Always Allow" on the popup that appears.
4) A window will appear prompting you to choose an appearance for your Office installation. Make your selection and click "Continue."
5) Click "Start Using Word." This will open Microsoft Word and complete the activation of Office 2016 for Mac.